Thursday, December 11, 2008

Carlson stepping up at the post


Richard Anderson photo
Wyoming sophomore Hillary Carlson, right, goes up against fellow post, senior Elisabeth Dissen, in a recent practice.

By Richard Anderson
Wyoming Sports.org

For those who have been around Wyoming sophomore Hillary Carlson, it is kind of hard to imagine her getting mad out on the basketball court.

Yet, Carlson has put up a little mad production in the last few games for the Cowgirls, who will be shooting for their third straight win Saturday against North Dakota State in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Wyoming Shootout at the Casper Events Center (1 p.m.).

Last season, Carlson, a lanky 6-foot-3 center out of Cheyenne, played sparingly as a freshman on a senior-dominated team, averaging 2.4 points and 0.6 rebounds in 19 contests.

Even in her first four games this season, she scored just 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. But in her last four games, Carlson is averaging over 12 points and four rebounds a game.

“In the first couple of games, I was timid and kind of nervous,” said Carlson. “But you just kind of snap out of it and get those angry moments where you take it to the basket, get a foul and make the shot.”

Confidence in her ability to take the ball to the basket strong has made a difference this season, especially in the last few games.

“I’m trying to be more aggressive and I have been more successful on the court,” she said. “That has given me more confidence. Everyone has been real encouraging for me to just play my game. It’s been good.”

Last season, the former Wyoming High School Player of the Year got a taste of college basketball. This season, her role is changing.

“For Hillary, the talent has been there, it’s just the adjustment to Division I basketball and the physicalness of Division I basketball,” Wyoming coach Joe Legerski said. “She is a slight post player. Yet, she is beginning to find a way to get to the basket and get to the free-throw line. That’s very important for us.”

After her rookie season, Carlson spent the summer in the gym, whether it was on the court shooting or in the weight room. It was the next step on the aggressive progressive ladder.

“I think I have gotten a little stronger. I just kept at it,” she said.

Being more physical hasn’t always been easy for Carlson, who is not the most physical-looking post player. In some ways, she can use her slight of frame to her advantage -- mentally.

“People can judge a book by its cover. Being tall and skinny, they might think I’m not going to hack it in the post. But I try,” Carlson said. “Compared to high school, it is definitely more physical. I think I knew that it was going to be physical, so that is why I was kind of scarred in the beginning. Now, it’s not so bad.”

Not only is Carlson hitting a few shots for the Cowgirls, she is hitting big shots. Her coming out party, so to speak, came in the fifth game, a 62-55 win over Boise State. Carlson scored 13 points and hit two big free throws down the stretch -- after missing two just a couple minutes earlier.

Last week on the road, Carlson scored 15 points, including the game-winner in the big come-from-behind victory over Weber State, and then added 13 points two days later in the win over Idaho State.

“It feels really good to know that I can do that and I can do it more than once,” Carlson said. “It gives me more confidence that I can do this. I’ve seen myself miss free throws in the middle of the game, and towards the end when they are crucial, I don’t know if they are easier, but they are more important, so I want to make them more.”

Carlson’s confidence and play is giving Legerski assurance in having her on the floor at crunch time. That was not only evident at Weber State, but it was apparent against Idaho State when Legerski had her shoot a pair of technical free throws. She canned them both.

“That’s never happened before, so I didn’t know who he was going to pick. I felt good that he picked me,” said Carlson, who is now averaging 8.0 points a game and 3.5 rebounds a game.

“I think Hillary is really starting to emerge as a go-to player with this group,” Legerski said. “She is starting to be more aggressive, she’s starting to find out what that is like and how successful she can be at it. She has really stepped up and made some big shots for us during the year. I even asked her to step up to the line to shoot technical fouls shots during the Idaho State game. That’s just how much confidence I have in Hillary right now in how she is playing.”

Last week’s wins over Weber State and Idaho State were the first consecutive victories for the young Cowgirls this season. With a tough Mountain West Conference slate in the horizon, these final non-conference games are important not only for their experience, but for their confidence.

“We were kind of in a win-lose pattern. Now, we’ve won two in-a-row, so hopefully we can keep on a roll and get our third straight win,” Carlson said.

The goal for the Cowgirls as a team is shaping up a lot like what Legerski is expecting out of Carlson as an individual.

“Just get better every day,” she said with a smile.

No comments: