Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Richardson fitting in as a Cowgirl


Richard Anderson photo
Wyoming sophomore Randi Richardson looks to contribute after transferring from San Francisco.

By Richard Anderson
Wyoming Sports.org

When Randi Richardson came to Laramie and the University of Wyoming campus in early November 2006, she wasn’t on a recruiting trip to play basketball for the Cowgirls.

She actually played against the Cowgirls, but came away impressed with the program, the university and the community.

This was where she wanted to be.

After competing her lone season with the University of San Francisco, Richardson came to Wyoming last year and sat out the season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules. She’s now anxious to make her mark as a Cowgirl, not against the Cowgirls.

Richardson also received some help in making the decision to come to Wyoming after talking to former UW assistant coach Abby Conklin, who is now an assistant at San Francisco.

“I had seen the town and everything, the atmosphere that we played in,” Richardson said Wednesday during the annual UW Basketball Media Days in the Arena-Auditorium. “Abby told me a lot of great things about it and she was someone I really respected and trusted. I came here and everything she said was true. I just knew right away that this was where I wanted to be.”

In many cases for student-athletes, the right situation is critical for not only their success, but their happiness. A native of Arlington, Wash., Richardson said that wasn’t the case at San Francisco. At the same time, she said that making the decision to transfer was one of the hardest decisions that she has had to make in her young life.

“I basically had to tell a team that I spent a whole year with and the girls who I really gained a lot of friendships with and coaches I respected, that it wasn’t a right fit and it wasn’t anything against them, it was just a personal decision,” she said. “It was really hard for me. But it made me grow up. You are so young when you have to make that decision where to go. The second time around, my decision of where to go was completely different. It was more about the atmosphere and I how I would enjoy it as a student. It was more about the inside dynamics, the girls and everything.”

Even after the decision is made and the transfer is complete, there is the reality that the athlete in the student has to make more adjustments -- sitting out a year of competition. Unlike a player having to sit because of an injury, Richardson said she knew what she was getting into and she came in with the mindset of knowing what she had to do.

“It was my year to focus on learning the system … kind of like a practice year, to get know the offense and While she watched and learned from the bench in the games, she practiced against some of the top players in Wyoming Cowgirl history.

“What really gave her the benefit was being able to practice every day against those players,” Wyoming coach Joe Legerski said. “The biggest question that we have is how is she going to react when she runs down the floor and the lights turn on, and she puts that Wyoming jersey on for the first time? Randi wants to do well and I have a great belief that she will succeed.”

Richardson said she picked up on how last year’s seniors worked to build what this program was and the pride that they had in it.

“This is one of the best teams that I have ever been a part of and one of the greatest atmospheres I have ever seen,” she said. “It really motivated me this year to be excited to play in that atmosphere and with these girls. I want to enjoy my time and enjoy the little things too.”

Legerski said it is now time for Richardson to step up and increase her role with the team.

“She had a very difficult year, to be able to practice every day and not be able to suit up and step out on the floor. I think that is one of the things that drives her every day -- the opportunity,” Legerski said. “With Aubrey (Vandiver) being out with mono, we’re going to count on Randi for some leadership in the backcourt. Outside of Randi, we’re looking at three freshmen. Until Aubrey comes around, Randi needs to provide that leadership, and I’m excited about what she is doing.”

With that being said, Richardson answers back with the attitude of, “Tell me what to do and I’ll do it.”

“I’m just working hard, trying to make plays, bring energy to the court; just where they need me to fill in,” she said.

Less than week into fall practices, Richardson said she now feels more relaxed with her situation. Last year was the hard year, her biggest challenge, she said.

“It was basically a year to get all of the jitters out and figure out where I fit in,” Richardson said. “Now I have learned the offense and the system. Now I am just having fun. I’m so excited and motivated to play this year.”

Richardson is one of eight new players on the Cowgirl roster this season. Patience may be a virtue for Legerski, his staff and the Cowgirl fans this year. At the same time, Richardson said they’ll try to pick up where last year’s team left off.

“There will be a lot of new faces out there, but we bring a lot of energy to the court, we all work really hard. We’ll be batting every night,” she said. “We want to continue the success that the seniors brought in last year. I think we have the talent to be able to do that.”

A kinesiology and heath major, Richardson said she has learned to balance her life as a student-athlete by sticking to a schedule. In her third year, she said she has the routine down.

While a little unsure of her future after college --“I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up” -- one thing is certain for the spunky young guard: It’s a lot more fun being a Cowgirl than playing against the Cowgirls.

No comments: